Sunday, December 9, 2007

Dragon Sculpture in Needle felt

Here are some step by step photos on how I create(d) my dragon sculpture in needle felt wool. I started taking pictures after I began putting the color on, so my apologies for the lack of photos at the beginning to be helpful.

For this sculpture I did tightly and firmly pack before putting on the color. This is because I will be sculpting scales and I need something firm to work with. However, the color is loosely applied except for the color on the eye, it is very firmly applied as I am not working on it after it is done.







The color is a self blend of two shades of natural brown (light and dark), 3 shades of green (emerald, lime, and chartruese), and a rare occasional hint of lemon yellow. The eye is white scelara, with an iris of ellow and brown veins and a ring of tangerine. There is a reptilian slit pupil that goes about 75-80% of the iris.



Here I have begun filling in the muzzle and the beak here.No detailing yet, just coloring it in. I am barely punctureing the colored wool, just enough to attach it to the form. When I begin sculpting the scales that will further attach,

No comments: