Thursday, April 16, 2009

Creating a Steam Punk laptop computer / Cintiq / amazeamathingamajig

I have wanted to do this for a while, and creating some smaller pieces (hopefully getting photos soon) has really fired this idea back up again.

I am going to convert my old laptop that my ex husband broke the hinges on the monitor into a piece of art, and I am going to document my efforts here. First is the research, as I still use my laptop, and don't want to be without it for very long because it is my main means of communication with several groups and individuals.

OOOHH, I can feel my fingers tingle with the excitement.

First of all, what my computer is.

I have a Gateway laptop 120 GB AMD Turion 64 Wireless compatible, DVD/CD burner, 4 USB ports, the monitor works as long as it is rubber banded in place (always open) to a wooden frame that my dad built for me when Martin (&$!#@) so rudely broke it. It's a decent computer. Could use some upgrading of parts (would like a faster processor - quad core would be really nice as I am dual core now - with a better graphics card for my gaming - yes, I'm a female gamer - but what really is getting my panties in a twist is the idea of incorporating the Cintiq / tablet qualities into the monitor, so I can create my digital art ON my digital art! *wants to pass out at the mere possibility*. You have no idea how much that would turn me on!) The detailed specifics of what I have are:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Gateway Model MX6455
System is X86 Based PC with an X86 Family Model 36 Stepping 2 Authentic AMD ~1989 Mhz
CD ROM Drive is HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082N
My display is ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series RAM 64 MB, Resolution 1280x800x60 herz
My Keyboard is a standard 101/102 key Microsoft natural ps2 keyboard wit 12 Function Keys (no number pad)(I want to replace this too. It's got keys that don't work, some missing (thanks to the never being able to close it and needing to travel with it, and some broken / not sensitive to touch).
My pointing device is a Synaptics PS/2 port toucpad wit 5 buttons (though I only use the up and down scroll bar and 2 buttons (one of which is.... dah dah DAHHHHH .... loosing paint)
My modem is a AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart CP
I have a Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller which has a *screeching gasp* broken door
I have 4 USB 2.0 Ports, an Eternet port, a regular phone port, a 5 in 1 memory stick reader, a firewire port, headphone, and microphone jack, and plug in for external monitor.

I will need to work around most of these ports, but might be able to move some when I open up the case and look inside. *rubs hands together in fervent anticipation*

It all works fairly well, and I would be satisfied to "improve" at a later date if finances wouldn't allow me to get what I want right away, but I am off for a few minutes to gather my wish list.

No comments: